The ugly truth

*This post was written in two parts. Make sure to read it all before judging, please. :)

 The willingness to accept responsibility for one's own life is the source from which self-respect springs.  ~Joan Didion
 
Being a journalist is not all it’s cracked up to be. While I love my job, while I love meeting people, the truth is, the stories are never-ending and people are never satisfied.

It’s easy to see why journalists become ‘burnt out.’

In our world, between social media sites that offer -- no, guarantee -- immediacy, and fast food chains that promise you can “have it your way,” it is no wonder that people have become so...greedy.


I hate to use that word. But it’s the truth. Now, these individuals are not always being greedy for money. They aren’t always striving to have their name in print or on television. Sometimes, they are doing it for a great cause, for a great organization, for a great need. But the simple truth is, they are being greedy.

And it is exhausting.

It seems that, in our profession, no matter how hard one tries, no matter the effort put in, it is never enough. There is always someone else who is unhappy, no matter how neutral the story is, whether you show both sides or neither side...

Again, it’s easy to see why journalists become ‘burnt out.’

The constant feeling of inadequacy experienced from friends who think you should be covering one thing, from complete strangers who think you aren’t covering enough.

Sadly, many of these don’t offer solutions to make you better, to make your coverage more complete. They simply offer criticisms.

It’s no wonder journalists are so often ‘burnt out.’

...

That was me yesterday. Not burnt out, mind you, just...tired. I had posted something on our Facebook page that received a negative comment, gotten an email from someone wanting “more” and was preparing to head to a meeting. Last week following the publishing of the regular meeting of the same government body, I received a very angry email, the writer of which was on the agenda for yesterday’s meeting.

Easy to see, I wasn’t too happy with people.
Random something to help you "whoosh" away your
troubles, too. :)

However, as I began writing, the anger began to “whoosh” away. I began thinking on the good stuff we write.

When I got to the dreaded meeting, I was definitely pointed out as a source of conflict and it didn't take long to get there. I’m beginning to get used to that feeling, by the way. (I feel the need to stipulate that I was not actually the source of the dispute at the meeting, I was simply...highlighting the conflict, as is the nature of the job, and it didn't set well with certain individuals involved.)

Eventually, somewhere in the midst of the writing, driving, meeting and then my later activities (including catching part of my cousin’s basketball team win their round of district tourney play!), before coming home to write and getting up to do it all over...somewhere in the midst of all that, I realized it was simply me venting. And, while it was valid, none of those people truly mattered to my person, just to my job.

If someone were to ask me to talk to a group of students about why they should become a journalist, I would say, "Run away. Quickly."

But I would also follow it with the reality.

The reality is, it’s a hard job, with long hours, late nights, early mornings and angry people. It’s a glimpse into the lives of complete strangers in ways you would never expect, from the heart-wrenching to the glory moments and everything in-between.

And that’s an exhausting ride. Some days, I already wonder what I’ve gotten myself into.

Then, I realize, I couldn’t do anything else. I love writing and, despite finding people absolutely infuriating, I love people. I want to help people.


The problem, I guess, is when journalists try to not be human. It’s completely impossible. People, those outside the window looking in, they expect us to operate as machines. Or, they think we are completely heartless beings and expect us to not be. In either case, we get criticized.

Sometimes, unfortunately, we have to turn the emotions off. We have to remember that we can only do so much and we have to know when to walk away. Otherwise, we can’t move on to the next story.

However, deep down, we can never turn them off. Not fully. Because we are human. Despite our best efforts and despite the best training, most of us cannot completely remove ourselves from our work. We are a part of everything we write, whether we want to be or not.

I guess the true balance is in figuring out how to control those emotions, without allowing them to drive the story. Kind of similarly to how I anticipate doctors, teachers and preachers must keep their emotions from driving their work.
More to just make you feel better
about your day :)
I think she knows how to relax...

Having written that, I’m sure there are people who would blatantly disagree that journalists are at all like doctors, preachers or teachers, but I think we might have more in common than most would believe. That is, depending on the journalist, but that must be saved for an entirely different post.

I simply remind you, the reader, to remember that we, just as you, are humans. And, in relation to a previous post, remember to use your manners! :)

For any journalism students, don’t really run. Just be prepared for a job that’s more emotionally exhausting than you can ever imagine. At the same time, it’s a job that gets in your blood, that keeps you busy and on your toes, and that you will love.

However, as our photographer expressed to me on our first joint outing, it's simply a job. As long as you find a way to get away from the job, you will be just fine.

That goes along with remembering helping people has its limits and that sometimes, there are stories that will be missed. Taking responsibility for what you can do and apologizing, then forgetting, what you can't. As Debbie says, "All you can do is all you can do."

He suggested gardening. I'm thinking maybe crocheting. Spending time with Luna-bug. Or 5Ks.

Speaking of 5Ks, here we are at the
latest one, the Heart, Sole and
Glove Run (or walk) in Lexington!



Comments

Popular Posts