Gracious words

 Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones." - Proverbs 16:24

This has been a very uninspiring year in many ways. Besides dealing with COVID-19 and that it entails, we've learned things about our friends and neighbors many of us wish we never knew.

We've learned some don't care about others. Or they care more about themselves, at least. We've learned many don't understand what it means to "agree to disagree," without it turning ugly. And we've learned many don't care what the rules say, if they think the rules are wrong, they will do what they want -- sometimes with horrific consequences.

But we've also learned a great deal of good in the last year. Many have learned a new hobby. Many learned how to really know the people they share their homes with, more than ever before. And we have learned that there is a lot of good in the world.

Breathe Star mosaic
Breathe is my word of 2021.
One huge lesson: we've learned our own resilience. 

Now that doesn't mean we've all come out looking like sunshine and rainbows. For me, this year has been mentally exhausting. My house is very reflective of that right now. I feel most of me is reflective, if anyone decides to take a closer look.

But if you're reading this, you did make it through. 

Many did not. I'm so saddened for those who did not, whatever the cause: COVID, mental illness, violence... the list goes on.

But for those of us who did, we deserve to take a moment and be glad. We made it through.

For me, 2020 felt like a year I couldn't catch my breath. 

See, if you don't know, in 2020, my cat was diagnosed with a life-ending disease. It was a constant roller coaster of testing and visits to the vet, trying to figure out what exactly was killing him -- we never did find the answer. They doubted it was the disease. They ran every test imaginable. We tried different treatments. He got better for a while.

But ultimately, in January, he passed away.

My boy Spaz.

At the same time, our cars were in and out of the shop. It sounds so privileged to acknowledge we have multiples and I acknowledge that. But it is still difficult when neither wants to work properly. Or both have problems at once.

Then, because of COVID, my husband was having to work multiple days and weeks of overtime, sometimes pulling well more than his eight hour shift. Again, my privilege is showing in that he had a job to work. However, it was stressful on his body and his mind. He's a corrections guard, a job that is difficult on a good day. It was stressful to watch and worry.

But here we are. Life goes on. 

I'll be honest, I didn't have a point in mind for today. I just felt it was a good day to start again. To dust off the blog, change up some colors and try again.

Because I am finally catching my breath.

No, not because life is getting easier. It's not. My oldest dog has now been diagnosed with a tumor. The vet *thinks* it's benign and we are planning surgery in a few weeks.

My oldest girl Luna.
Our van is back in the shop again for repairs and our car is in need of some.

Jim is still working extra hours because they can't seem to keep people.

And I'm having some potential health concerns of my own. 

But something about 2021 seems brighter. Maybe it's because we have this new sense of how to handle ourselves. We've been at this a year and it's not so scary anymore to wear masks everywhere and to keep our distance. Sure, some folks still don't know it covers their nose and some people still don't understand personal space. But we're handling it. 

And I think we've learned the difference in what is necessary versus what we felt was necessary. Like the old adage: just because we can doesn't mean we should.

There are many things I miss. One of my friends and I had a girls' night for the first time in forever a few weeks back. I did miss that.

But there are many things I don't. Like wearing "real" pants. 

And there are many things I've learned to deal with. Like wearing a mask in every store. I think I might continue after COVID, at least when I have a cold or something similar. It's just a nice way to say, "I don't want you to catch what I have." 

Plus, some of my masks are pretty darn cute!

Just cause he's cute: my other
doggo, Bucket, on the lake.
So: what will you miss, as we start to see this thing get under control? What will you be happy for?

Another thing I think I've been forced to see in 2020? How to be more gracious. Perhaps it's been the pure ugliness people have displayed, but 2020 makes me feel more gracious.

I'm more grateful to the good Lord. I'm more grateful for those I love. I'm more gracious and understanding to people when they falter.

I hope people will be the same with me. I've certainly been failing a lot myself.

Don't we all need a little more grace and kindness? I think the world could certainly use it.


Bonus:

This blog has been in existence since 2009. I'd like to change up the title, but I'm having trouble coming up with ideas. Do you have any ideas for me?

Comments

Popular Posts