One foot in front of the other

"But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do."
1 Peter 1:15 NIV


It's been a while since I blogged. An embarrassingly long time, let's be honest.

And, in full disclosure, I'm finally writing this one because my Intro to Journalism students are talking about the articles being posted to blogs for me to review. It dawned on me, it has been a while.

But that's O.K. It's always possible to begin again. God gives us grace, right?

We are simply terrible at giving it to one another.

Starting over is a lesson I've been learning in other ways lately. This year, I've begun (again) getting healthy. I'm committed to walking a mile a day. I'm drinking more water and no soda. (My gut is really happy with that decision!)

And I'm learning how to make better mental health choices, too.

A few years ago, I tried to kick start getting health. I even blogged about how excited I was to get out of the 200 club. The day I weighed in at 197. That day, I shared how I had been at 230 a year before and how it was the most I had every weighed.

Today, I weigh in at 280. Actually, I think it's closer to 285. The scale hasn't gone down since I restarted my health efforts. But, I know I'm getting stronger. I'm not worried about the scale as much.

Instead, I'm trying to walk a dedicated mile each day -- or something equivalent! Tonight, for instance, I swam for 20 minutes straight, which is close to what a mile would normally be for me.

That's another thing -- 20 minutes for a mile, while slow for some folks, is a good time for me. I'm getting faster. I'm making dedicated efforts to move more.

That's the secret, isn't it? Moving more. However you can, even if it is only a little, you just need to move more. I, personally, have been participating in virtual races. I walked 23.3 miles from April 20 through May 17, completing my first Yes.Fit race.

Why does all this matter? Well, I believe the same things I shared in that 2013 post. God created us to live life well. Not that this life is the ultimate, but that we live the right ways to point to Him. The way so many of us live, we are pointing everywhere but God.

Health is one of those ways -- mental, physical and spiritual health. Even financial health.

That's been another challenge for the year. It's been a year of health. Maybe that should be my word of the year!

Another reason? Look at 1 Corinthians 3:16-17.

"Don't you know that you yourselves are God's temple and that God's Spirit lives in you? If anyone destroys God's temple, God will destroy him; for God's temple is sacred, and you are that temple."   ~1 Corinthians 3:16-17
 Whew. Your body is a temple. That's a thought.

October to April to May.
If your body is a temple, what kind of temple is it? Is it cared for, kept up and worthy of our Savior? Or is it run down, weathered and not at all a place that brings glory to God?

Will I ever reach a temple glorying to God? Not sure. But He gives grace. Even when we fail. Even when I yo-yo with my weight. In everything, God is there.

Who knows, maybe you'll be reading another one of these in a few years. Thank goodness for grace.

Comments

Popular Posts