Stepping in faith

"This is what we speak, not in words taught us by human wisdom, but in words taught by the Spirit, expressing spiritual truths in spiritual words." -1 Corinthians 2:13
Sometimes, faith seems crazy. It leads us to doing things that, to non believers and even some believers, might seem insane.
But true faith means doing it anyway, trusting God that what you're being asked to do is part of His plan.
Now, I'm not talking one of those crazy murderers who blames the voice in his head, claiming he's hearing God. God isn't going to ask something so harmful to others of us. He's not going to ask for something that will ultimately hurt the ministry. I'm pretty sure that behavior would have a negative effect on bringing people to God.
But, God does ask for believers to step out in faith in ways that don't make sense to others. Ways such as tithing, fasting and praying before purchasing.
Going back to school at an older age to go into ministry.
Calmly accepting a job loss.
Celebrating instead of mourning a friend's death.
Picking up your life and moving to work on mission.
It does sound nuts, at first glance, to leave everything you've ever known to move to a foreign country where your life could be in danger for your mere existence just to preach about God. Those other things might sound like varying degrees of crazy, too.
But not to someone who is truly open to the Spirit.
Take the opening verse and back up. In the verses before, we read that the Spirit of God knows everything, things beyond the understanding of humans.
And God has given that spiritual understanding to His believers. But who doesn't have that?
The rest of the world.
"The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned."
Lately, I've been thinking about food. Who doesn't, right? But I've been trying to get in better shape -- besides round. The doctor keeps telling me, but beyond that, my body is telling me.
I recently read a book titled, "If my body is a temple, I was a megachurch." Sounds funny, right? Well, it was. But it was more. It was honest.
I could sit back and say, "I'm not as bad as that guy," and to an extent I'd be right. But I'd also be lying.
For him, food had become a sin. It was a stumbling block on the way to God.
For me, food takes priority over God sometimes. I can't say I idolize it to the extreme that the author did. But I also let it become between God and myself.
I could save my money for tithing more. But I like French fries a lot.
I could save my money for a mission trip. But I like tacos more.
So I've been thinking: how can I not just say that I'm going to do better and actually do better?
Perhaps I need to be a little God crazy. Perhaps, I need to ask God what to eat. Perhaps, I should actually pray about each meal.
Imagine how much it might make a difference if I asked God before I wolfed down that cheeseburger?
Maybe it's crazy.
Or maybe it's exactly what God is asking of me.
What is God asking of you?
Sometimes it's huge. Sometimes it's not. Sometimes, it means taking one step.
Noah had to make a list.
Daniel had to pray.
Shadrach, Meshach and Abendego had to keep standing.
What do you need to do?

Comments

Popular Posts