Supporting the Arts Center

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up."
~Pablo Picasso

I don't remember the first time I picked up a brush or was shown how to create something from nothing.

But I assure you, it was a great experience. My whole life, I've been surrounded by a family that enjoys creating something out of nothing. My mom and grandma were making grapevine wreaths before Martha Stewart made it cool. I would spend hours with various members of my family on one project or another.

I do remember the first time I picked up a crochet hook. I was a teenager and I had expressed to my dad how I wished I could learn that.

Dad crocheting at one of my first
events 
in 2011.
So he taught me.

I'm convinced my dad can honestly make anything. But that's another story for another time.

He had learned from either my aunt or my grandma when he was younger. He remembered how and taught me. He made a hat using the single crochet stitch.

I remember how excited I was. My first real project? A purse. I still have it, although it's in need of some repair — I didn't know about different types of yarn and how they would impact the use of the bag. I just found some I thought was pretty and gave it a shot. No pattern. Dad didn't really know how to read patterns.

That was probably about 15 years ago. Since then, I've made stuffed animals, tons of hats, sweaters and much more. I also have several "WIPs" or works in progress. 

I'm grateful for that first lesson from my dad and all the fun it's brought me since. I did a lot of crocheting to pass the time, especially when my grandpa was in the hospital.

I've start reading patterns, slowly, and getting more adventurous in my stitches. I love seeing new ideas and learning new things. I love being able to imagine and create.
That's something everyone should have the opportunity to do. No matter how old you get or how "grown up" you become, you should always be able to imagine and create.


M at the Community Arts Center
That's why places like the Community Arts Center are important. The center gives everyone, young and old, a chance to imagine and create.

Kids can visit Lisi's Art Lab and create to their heart's desires. Or, for more structure, they can take classes, lessons and join camps. They can visit with their schools or with their parents.


For adults, there are Lunch with the Arts events, where they get to meet an artist sharing their craft; there are classes, too.


And funding is available for those field trips, scholarships for the classes and camps, and more.


It's all for the community, as it says in the name. And as it says on the website, community-funded and community-focused.


We LOVE the arts center. M loves playing in the Lisi's Art Lab. I love taking Starry Night classes.


Starry Night studio!
The exhibits they offer are fantastic. It's just a great place!

Now, to the whole point of this post: HELP ME! Help me support this great place! Help me show love to the Community Arts Center.

For the past few months, there has been on going fundraiser for the center, in an effort to raise money for those scholarships, field trips and other things I mentioned. It will end on May 12, at the Art-A-Thon from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.


Remember bike-a-thons or walk-a-thons from when we were kids? I loved those things. This is the crafter's version!


Along with a ton of other artists, I signed up to participate in the fundraiser and the Art-A-Thon. I'll be set up from noon to 2 p.m. crocheting! I'm so excited!!! 


Will you help me help the Community Arts Center? If all of my friends would donate even a dollar to my efforts, I could really help the center, a place that's brought a lot of fun to my little family! A place that's community-funded and community-focused.


Check out my donation page:

Comments

Popular Posts