The mushy post.

The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page. ~St. Augustine

Last week, I experienced my third graduation.

The first was high school, second was college, and third was graduating from the GLS program. Granted, there was much less pomp and circumstance in this one than in the last one. But we still got a nifty certificate.

This will be my last blog entry from Cyprus. Today is the fourth of July and we leave tomorrow night for the airport (to fly out at 3 am).

There are a lot of mixed emotions from the group. Some of us are sad about leaving and others wish we’d left sooner. And I think we all hate not being home for the holiday.

While I have missed my family, my friends, my dog (yes, I said my dog), and life in general back home, I have also had one of the best times of my life.

Having traveled before, I knew some of the difficulties and adjustments that would have to be made. Conversion to euros and the metric system, being aware of the change in road rules (i.e., they drive on the left here and they drive very...interestingly), and other general things.

What I hadn't planned on was falling in love with this place. Or the people of this beautiful and engaging country. And having a growing appreciation for UT (sorry family, they’ve influenced me).

For the past 30 days, we have lived, traveled and learned together. We all barely knew each other before and now we know far too much. Some even have blackmail on others...that’s for future political aspirations. :)


The biggest thing I want to take away from this is a greater sense of the world and of myself. I see the world through a new lens and in a way that you can’t experience in the states. I’ve learned things about myself, too.

Even when we are what seems like worlds and cultures apart from other parts of the world, we really aren’t. Things that affect and influence people in Cyprus can have an impact on the U.S. Maybe not right away, but eventually there is a ripple.

We all have a responsibility to pay attention to the world around us. Otherwise we’re doomed to live in isolation and risk the chance of repeating past mistakes. And that doesn’t do anyone any good.

Thanks to GLS and Dr. Legg for giving all of us these opportunities to learn and grow.

Comments

Popular Posts